Monday 17 February 2014

Setting up the LAB…

All electronics tinkerers need a lab of sorts. The lab gear is rather expensive but if you know what you are doing you can setup a decent lab at a decent price.

Below is both my Photography & Electronics work area. This setup works great for either work.

I also spend most of my time doing my Photo editing on my Macbook Pro.

IMAG0037

The PC is running a modified form of SDR based on the RTL based DVB-T Receiver. It can receive everything from around 50Mhz to around 2.4ghz. I use it for listening to Radio and testing small oscillators etc. Basically it is my spectrum analyzer.

On the left is a dual rail 0-30V – 3amp per rail bench Power supply. This is what I use for all my tinkering and designing. I also have a 15amp sitting below the desk which is fixed at 13.8V and on the bench you can see me doing a few more updates to the hardware and software of my 0-12V- 1.5A digital Power supply which I built myself from scratch before acquiring the big fella on the left. This little fella lives under the left side of the left screen.

IMAG0028 

As you can see the little guy was rather simple but did what I needed. I have since added a current sensing circuit and updated the code on the ATMEGA 328 which drives this guy. New Display is below.

IMAG0033

Besides adding the current measuring section I have also added 3 buttons to the back of the case which allows me to calibrate the units AMPS and VOLTS without opening and adjusting. All calibration is done in software and written to the E2PROM of the ATMEL ATMEGA328-P CPU.

IMAG0040

You can see the buttons on the top right of the image above. You can also see the old serial Arduino which I was going to turf as its just a pain to use. I programmed the ATMEGA on my of my other boards and just plugged her in. I seriously need to find a better way to interface as I used all recycled electronics to build this guy. Except the Veroboard, case and a few fittings.

 

Anyway enough about my tinkering for the moment.

I have just had a tough day of photo editing in 35 Deg C temperatures with humidity levels as high as 90 percent.

 

Cheers for now.

 

Dionne

No comments:

Post a Comment